In our third session we developed the character of our masks, with facial expressions and more exaggerated features like facial hair, ears, hair and horns.
After trying on some of Guy’s masks and discussing how different masks could change how we thought about the character of the person wearing them, we started planning the character of our own masks.
We drew around our masks, and planned our own characteristics with pencil and paper. We also discussed what we might use to create the effects we wanted.
Once we were happy with our designs we started to add these changes to our masks. This included cutting away and adding to our masks to change the shape. To do this we used modelling clay and pieces of card, which we then covered with more gum tape.
Next week we will be painting our masks so, when we had added our 3D features, we started to think about the colours we wanted to use and plan how our finished masks will look…
At the end of the workshop Abi, Dan, Daniel and Osian discussed the progress they are making with their masks:
We are all looking forward to adding the finishing touches to our masks next week.